While on a hike in Griffith Park this past weekend, I had a long conversation with a friend. As she spoke, I heard a lot waiting. I heard that she’ll be happy when this or that happens. If only her living situation was different… If only she could finish writing the show she’s been working on…
And I started to think about how I used to do something similar, always putting off happiness for a future date. But I started to see that this “future date of happiness” never came. It was always a day or a week or an event away. Never here, now.
So I made a new commitment. I committed to seeing this as the best day ever. This, the best week ever.
“But how can you say that?” you might ask. Rather than have me explain it, I invite you to make the shift yourself. Here’s 5 ways to begin:
- Be still for 5-10 minutes today. We have a tough time feeling content when we’re so busy rushing anxiously around.
- Affirm this truth. One of my powerful daily affirmations is, “This is my best week ever!” and each day I see evidence of why it is. With affirmations we train the subconscious mind to be open to the possibility, and then the conscious mind sees it out in the world.
- Keep a gratitude journal. You don’t even need a “journal” to begin. Just bust out a sheet of paper and write down all the ways you are blessed. Note the times when things went your way. Where were you provided for at just the right time? What else makes you light up? Write it down!
- Practice laughter. Joy is your beacon towards living the life of your dreams. As you resonate more frequently with this feeling, you are more able to move towards lasting happiness because you know what it is. Flex your happiness muscle! We all have it.
- Do something fun to celebrate YOU! Make a point to take yourself out this week. Watch a movie. Take a bath. Go for a leisurely drive. Breathe the fresh air and smile knowingly as you recognize all the great work you’re doing.
The practices above allow you to tap into feeling great NOW, instead of waiting for tomorrow. Beginning with the feeling of happiness brings you more of it.
Your entire life has led you to this moment. You were never more knowledgeable, compassionate, gentle or powerful than you are now. As you feel the truth that this is your best week ever, not because you achieved something or attained something, but because it simply is, you will see more and more reasons why.
This is a shift towards abundance – a leap towards prosperity – a step towards realizing your inherent greatness, simply being yourself.
Welcome to your best week ever.
P.S. If you find that you’re just too busy to take some time for yourself, use the following two hacks to reclaim some “lost” time:
1. Digital detox: Leave your phone behind for a day. The world can wait.
2. Traffic light decompression: While waiting for the light to change, bring awareness to your breath. Relax your shoulders and jaw. Bring a smile to your face.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Adam Timm is the president and founder of The Healthy Dispatcher. A 9-1-1 telecommunicator with the Los Angeles Police Department for over a decade, Adam now provides leadership training and consulting to PSAPs around the country. He is the author of three books, including the popular, Dispatcher Stress: 50 Lessons on Beating the Burnout, and, “People Driven Leadership: How the Best 9-1-1 Centers Inspire Positive Change,” both available on Amazon.com.
For more articles visit: https://thehealthydispatcher.